Wednesday 14 May 2014

******SPECIAL REPORT********* Garbolino Club Angler, Tunnel Barn, 14/5/14

When the entry form appeared this year in Match Angling magazine, there was a surprise. Two anglers from each club would be allowed to enter. From results throughout the year it was decided that me (Yozzer) and Dirk Wriggler would represent Eggy Ferry. We chose to follow Pato's lead from last year, and enter the Tunnel Barn qualifier. Pete Lucas had qualified through a Warrington club so a Premier Inn was booked for 3.
Arriving at 9.15, we made enquiries in the tackle shop. I have fished most of the pools on the complex, along with Luco, with the exception of New pool. This is where I fancied having a practise. Staff told us to fish pegs 3,4 and 5, so off we went.
With Dirk on his first TBF visit we decided to just get a feel of things till noon, before starting a 6 hour knock-up. Good job we did this because it was a shock to find the lake had been stocked over the winter with hoardes of 3oz F1s. I had opted to fish pellet to start with but it was apparent very quickly that this would be a waste of time. A change to meat was in order. Having found some 'beef and chicken' luncheon meat in the 99p shop, and cut up four tins, I thought I'd go with it. Oh dear! no wonder it was cheap, every last piece floated, much to the joy of the lake's duck population and their young. Plan C, and onto my trusty TBF favourite of corn n hemp. 
Pete and Derek both chose to do caster shallow and they were both into fish from the off. Unfortunately it was 6oz ide and other assorted silvers, and not the expected F1s.
By the time 12 o'clock came, we had each sorted things out to a degree. I was catching the odd decent F1 and the others were catching on the caster.
By mid afternoon I had progressed to catching slowly in the margins, as had Pete, who found that micros were working better than hemp for him and his meat also sank.
Dirk meanwhile, was battering F1s by fishing hard up against the far bank reeds and tapping 'mong' style. Banded red pellet was doing the damage.
At the weigh-in Luco's digital scales had flat batteries, DOH! so we admired each others catches, estimating that we'd all probably managed a ton, and tipped back.
We had a pleasant meal at a Beefeater pub, a few drinks, and a chat about the forthcoming match. By 10.30 we were all more than ready to sleep.
Now if the match had been a snoring competition, Dirk would have walked  it, and been an England International. Jeez, me and Pete struggled to doze off and to add insult to injury, The Wriggler awoke in the morning and tried to tell us he'd not slept very well!
Big match excitement meant we were at the Barn by 7.30 having breakfast  and talking to some people we knew, and some we didn't.
It was choc-a-bloc, and then they announced that there were 224 entries, and 21 qualifying places up for grabs. Spreads over 9 lakes on the complex, it was going to equate to roughly the top 2 anglers on each lake progressing to the final. Financially, there would be 5-peg sections paying £50 to the winner. Personally, it was a case of 'get a bite', get a fish and then if things go well, worry about the section. Mind you, it was good money for such a small section.
Draw time, and Dirk was keen to be at the front of the queue, worried that 2 hours wouldn't be enough time to tackle up. Lucas was chilled, and I would have been just as happy at the back of the queue.
Into the bag, and Degsy pulled out New 4, Pete's peg from yesterday. Gotta be happy with that, at least it was familiar territory. Luco drew Canal 14, which I didn't really fancy, but he seemed OK with. I ended up with House 18. Only fished the pool once previously, but was happy to give it a go.
After dropping Dirk off, I arrived at the lake and went searching for my peg. I liked what I saw, and really fancied a good day's fishing from it. Nothing special, but it felt right and I had a bit of room, a rarity with so many anglers fishing.
Starting on my top kit out in front, I went with 6mm pellet, Hampton-style. 30 seconds in and my first bite was converted into a 1lb F1. I'm happy. 3 more decent F1s came quickly, before a few silly missed bites had me thinking. Sure enough, it was those 3oz F1s again. Changing swiftly onto corn n hemp soon solved that. For 2 hours I caught steadily, getting 6/7 fish before moving a yard sideways to keep in touch with the fish, which would back off. It worked a treat, even if I did have to add a short 4 on occasions. I drip fed the margins on both sides from the off, and at midmatch, with action slowing, it was time for a look. Again, 4 or 5 fish from one side, then switch to the other, and then back again.
At the whistle I had 95 proper F1s. My initial thoughts were, I wonder how the others got on, Wow what a nice day's fishing, I might have won my section.
Phoned Dirk, 12 F1s, not good, 40lb has won his section. Rang Lucas, 26lb, his section won with 32lb, not good. Both lakes had not fished as hoped.
Seems that House pool would be last to get weighed, so I politely asked Pete if he had time to come down and lift my nets out for me. With Lucas getting more excited than me, I admit that I have a ton. An angler at the other end of my lake weighed in 111lb, and is currently in the lead. Second best is 100lb. I allowed myself to think I might qualify for the final, and possibly win my section. 3 weighs later and I totalled 134lb, which, unbelievably was going to be enough for me to win the whole qualifier.
After a photo session with Garbo superstars for the magazine, I made my way to the presentation. Again I was shocked when they announced that first prize was £400. Fantastic, but I would have been just as happy with no cash, as long as I can keep the buzz of winning.

Next time you win an Eggy section and pick up a 'measly' £21, think more about your Garbo Club Angler points. As the TV advert says, some things are priceless. This experience is one of them.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous15/5/14

    well done yozza, on the win.
    it was a pleasure to send the two days with you and pete.

    ps i found lucky bert in my car and your not getting it back.
    derek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Yozz. Superb achievement and couldn't happen to a nicer bloke. You deserve it my friend. Good luck in final.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done yozz, you done us proud, good look for the final mate,who you going to take to lift your nets out

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Mr Hughes official best mate I think I should be the one to assist him.
    My experience of loading and unloading his gear into my car as well a transporting it to his peg needs careful planning. Not to mention the joy of lifting his nets for the weigh in , finally having regular diving lessons has improved my " pole section in the lake " success rate. However if any body else would like to have a go feel free.As a warning he has mentioned playing touch willies but I haven't taken him up on this offer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A massive well done to you yozz and a fantastic report good luck for the final mate youve done the club and yourself proud mate a fantastic achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i see you have your teeth in mate show off

    ReplyDelete