Thursday 21 May 2015

********SPECIAL REPORT******** GARBOLINO CLUB ANGLER, Tunnel Barn Farm Qualifier, 20/5/15

Having performed well enough throughout 2014, I again had the privilege of representing the club at this year's Garbo Club Angler. Jamie Pickup was the other rep, but had to cry off at the last minute. With a mere 24 hours notice, Nicky Harrop stepped in to ensure the space wasn't wasted.
With Tony Wilson and Chris Roe having tickets through Poulton Vics we would have a few heads at the planning table on Tuesday evening.
Nick, Tony and I arrived in Warwick at 8.30am and had breakfast at a toby carvery. TBF have a café but tend to close pretty sharpish around 9am so we took no chances. We received our usual warm welcome from owner Mike and manager Les upon arrival at the venue, and were advised to try Top pool, which offered some protection from the wind.
We decided to fish from 10.30 till 2pm and then evaluate. Showing Tony the ropes as this was his first visit to TBF, he was a bit surprised when I told him to just get top kits out of the bag. Unusually though, his peg was super shallow close in so a further 2 sections were needed to reach the recommended 3 feet depth. My standard corn n hemp tactic would be a starting point.
Amazingly I too started on a top kit with corn and was into fish straight away, F1s averaging a pound and a half. A slow first 20 minutes had Tony scratching his head and doubting the advice. Once he had his first bite he settled into a rhythm and couldn't contain his excitement at the quality and ease of the fishing. Nick had a bit of previous at the venue, and he too caught F1s with monotonous regularity.
Although we used our nets, which is allowed at TBF, we hadn't taken any scales. At the agreed 2pm we took a look at the contents and estimated that Tony and I had about 80lb, with Nick close behind with 60. We then made the decision to turn our seatboxes round to fish the adjacent High pool for a few hours to see if that was any different.
After half an hour of the session (2.30 till 6) it was apparent that the corn would again work, but might not be the most effective approach as the fish were of a smaller stamp, and seemed to be up in the water. Nick and I stubbornly stuck to the plan while Tony went onto caster shallow at 5 metres. He subsequently 'emptied it'. Or that was the impression. When it came to emptying the nets, similar result were evident compared to Top pool, but we'd had a lot more fish for the weight.
Tuesday night we went for an Indian and then met Chris in the alehouse. Tony was trying his best to convince him that corn was best, fished short, but the rest of us were pretty sure of what we wanted to do.
Match day morning, and following breakfast we arrived at Tunnel. Only 166 entrants this year, so just a knock-up really :-) Spread over 8 lakes, there were to be 19 qualifying spaces up for grabs, which basically meant 2 from each lake. Tony and Nick drew on New pool, both on good looking pegs, while Chris and I also drew together on Club pool. It could be won from anywhere but Club was one of the more favoured lakes, although its not actually one of my favourites.
Again, readers will probably think I'm talking bollox when I say it proved to be a challenge. Most of the lakes are predominately F1s, whereas there are a lot more 'proper' carp in Club. The dilemma throughout the match was... feed for F1s or feed for carp? " 2 hours in, and things were slow on hemp and corn, with those around me catching 2 to my one. Decision time. Adding a number four, I plumbed up down my peg, at an angle about 6 feet off the bank. I was going down my Lingmere route of micros with a 4mm expander. What a transformation! I started to claw my way back into contention for the section (£50 for 5 pegs). With a decent amount of carp showing I decided to fill the margins in and hope for a strong finish with some big carp. Big mistake more like, as every time I looked, after a length of time, all I could get was an F1. I just kept going back on the pellet line and catching steadily.
When the scales came round, which was pretty sharpish for a match of it's size, I thought I'd done about 85lb and maybe enough for 2nd in section and 2nd on the lake, which would mean qualification for the final. As usual my estimation was a little out, and I managed 113lb 14oz. The two anglers who I thought may have beaten me weighed 93 and 84 respectively. Job done, I'd won £50 and qualified.
Chris had weighed 50lb for nowhere, while Nicky also finished unplaced with his level 60lb. A great day's match fishing nonetheless.
Meanwhile, Tony too had enjoyed a great day, while demonstrating remarkable restraint. His peg looked a dolly with features galore. The temptation to use the entire pole was resisted, and sticking to the top kit plan, he brought 93lb 10oz to the scales. At the time, the magazine photographer told him to keep some fish in a net, which got Tony excited. Soon after he told him to tip them back as someone had done 113lb. Tony's first thought was ..."I bet it's that feckn Gnome!" He did, however, win his section and the lake.
At the car park, we had a burger and stood around for ages waiting for the result. All the section winners were announced and paid, and Tony and I never got a mention...... Hang on, we must be in the main frame. Tony was just pipped by 4oz and had to settle for a brilliant 3rd place and a consolation £200, while, incredibly, I had somehow won it again. I felt embarrassed for a moment but the £300 in the envelope ended those feelings and, as they say, I was over the moon. So, get your fingers out this year, someone else deserves to have this experience, bring it on fellas.


16 comments:

  1. A massive well done again yoz u always do the club proud,well done 2 nicky also 4 giving it a go,and well done 2 tony and chris even tho they wernt fishin 4 the eggy lol.gud write up yet again yoz and again well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous21/5/15

    brilliant mate. well done.
    now where you going next wednesday?
    hope its not lingmear, as i want to win the dodgers again.
    lol derek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Yoz fantastic result

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knew you'd win it. I all but said so on the Lingy thread.

    Now go and win it outright Yozz, chuffed to bits for you mate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome as usual Yozzer, well done.
    I wouldn't have approached my peg anything like I did without your help and advice the day before. The hardest part of the whole match was setting up a top kit and then not knowing what to do for the next hour. After watching everyone else setting up tip rods and full poles I decided to take a walk and see Chris. When I came back to my peg I could tell people were looking at me thinking 'Wheres the rest of his pole?" . However, an hour later, I'd had about 30lb and everyone I could see were struggling.
    There's a lot to be said for this Gnome fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony, it's ok getting advice, you still gotta sit on your own and fish the match, and make decisions about feeding, etc. Considering it was your first visit to the place yours was a Brilliant effort. Bring on the final, at least you have a feeder rod,,,

      Delete
    2. Well done to you both. Yozzer a superb win, well done matey and Tony on a great 3rd place and ya best match weight to date. Both thoroughly deserve your places in the final.
      Also thank you to Nick Harrop for taking my place, I appreciate it buddy.

      Delete
  6. I love you and will wash your feet every day at Whiteacres. Well done chief.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic result mate, Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This proves that we are a club of quality anglers .It makes me proud to think I am getting twatted every week by such awesomely talented people .Cant wait for my next turking by you. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to everyone, I really appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab result from both of you, Tony given its your first visit as well I vote that as the catch of the day......is it Barston for the final...........that'll be a laugh launching feeders to the gravel bars if you know how to find em!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, it makes you realise how high the standard is at the Eggy. I haven't even managed to win a section since I rejoined and was starting to doubt myself. Then I turned up there against 166 other lads, finish 3rd and still get smashed by another eggy member. It's a shame we can't enter everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barston it is. Apparently there are loads of bream and big skimmers on the pole line. Maybe not at 3metres but if I get my graphics out....hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be careful You don't tip forward with that much pole out mate, maybe an idea to put a brolly guy rope round your waist?

      Delete
    2. Yoz did u actualy get graphic sections when u baught your pole?? Think johns right u may need 2 get the rope out and tie yourself 2 ya box just incase,altho i did see norman in toolstation buying ratchet straps,were they 4 u??

      Delete